Learn the Proper Way to Change Your Business Address

As a business owner, choosing the right location for your business type and industry will weigh heavy on the success of your company. Having said that, many businesses, as they get bigger and better, usually outgrow their current locations.

And, as you physically transfer your company from one place to the next, this change will also have to be reflected on paper. You cannot scrimp on this step because proper business registration is essential for complying with government regulations. It is a fairly simple process, so here is what you need to know and do.  

1. Update incorporation details

Submit the necessary form signifying these amendments to the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and the secretary’s certificate in filing for the change, and the board resolution. 


– Copy of the latest due general information sheet

– Most recently due Financial Statements and Income Tax Returns, stamped by the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR)

– Copy of certificate of Incorporation

– Copy of By-Laws and existing Articles of Incorporation

-Copy of page 1 of the Registration of Stock and Transfer Book

2. Retire business at your barangay

Barangays and cities have no unified database, so to change your business address, you must first retire the old one at a barangay level. The old address will be deemed closed and non-operational.


– Photocopy and Original copy of the latest barangay certificate

– Letter of request which states the reason for business retirement signed by the company President of Corporate Secretary

– Authorization letter with ID, just in case a person assigned to the task is not an authorized signatory of the business

– Retirement fee (this depends on the barangay) 

3. Retire the business in your city

You must then retire your business at the city level. You will only have 30 days from Amending the Articles of Incorporation to file a request for the requirement at the city hall where your business is registered.


– Letter or Request for Retirement

– A Notarized application form

– Certificate from the Barangay which states closure of business and the effective date

– The audited Financial Statements and Income Tax Return for the 3 years preceding the retirement date.

– Original Mayor’s permit (Or affidavit of loss with photocopy if original was lost)

– A computerized list of Official receipts and assessments of the current calendar year

– Quarterly or Monthly BIR VAT Returns or the ITR of the current year

– Certification of all gross sales of the current year certified by an accountant

– Cedula or CTC for the 3 years preceding the retirement date

– Original Board Resolution or Secretary’s Certificate

– Affidavit of No Operation

– Authorization letter with IS if a representative who is not an authorized signatory of the company is given this task

– Payment of necessary fees

4. Apply for new Barangay Clearance

This is needed to procure a new business permit. It would help to have your bookkeeping and accounting documents in order to facilitate the process.  


– DTI Business Name Registration

– Barangay Business Permit Fee

– Latest Community Tax Certificate (CTC/Cedula)

5. Apply for a new business permit

This will legitimize your new location. No business can operate without this.


– Depending on the business, a Certificate of Business Name Registration from the Department of Trade and Industry (only for Sole Proprietorships); Articles of Partnership (only for Partnerships), or Articles for Incorporation (only for Corporations) from the Securities and Exchange Commission; Certificate of Registration (only for Cooperatives) from the Cooperative Development Authority

– Barangay business clearance

– Authorization letter from the owner with ID

– Certificate of Title/Tax Declaration if owned, or Certificate of the lease if leased

– Sketch of business location

– Occupancy permit

– Cedula or CTC

– Public Liability Insurance (For certain businesses only)

– Zoning or Locational Clearance

– Fire Permit

– Sanitary Permit

6. Transfer of records from old RDO to new RDO

Updating information with the BIR involves applying for a transfer from your old RDO to the new RDO where your business is newly located.


– Request for transfer from your current RDO stating reason and effective date of dissolution

– Wait for the Old RDO to come out with a report of open cases

– Settle your unpaid dues

– Fill from 1905

– Have delinquency verification signed

– Surrender the original BIR certificate and ask for a receipt notice

– Secretary Certificate and Board Resolution

– Photocopy of ITR with Financial statement for the last 2 years

– Copy of recent Registration form or 0605

– Certificate of business retirement from city hall

– Surrender “authority to print” form

– Photocopy of Business Tax paid at the LGU

– Copies of Short Period Return

– Authorization Letter and ID for representatives given this task

As you can see there are many requirements for a change of address. If doing it alone sounds tedious, call our CPA firm for help. Apart from bookkeeping and accounting, we help with business registration services.