Calling All VAs: Conquer Your Tax Challenges Now

Calling all and responsible virtual assistants out there, listen up! Taxes might seem like a daunting maze, especially when you work remotely or have an overseas employer. When you’re doing everything on your own at home, it may seem like a daunting tax. But fear not, because we’re here to guide you through the complex world of income taxes!

If you’re a virtual assistant embarking on a quest to conquer your tax obligations, you must stay informed on the proper steps and paperwork to get done. It’s no walk in the park, but the journey is worth it because you don’t have to worry about potential tax problems! So, let’s get started with our virtual assistant’s income tax survival guide.

Exemption Categories

First things first, know the rules of the game. According to the hallowed texts of the Philippine Tax Code, virtual assistants like you are indeed responsible for paying taxes—unless you fall under certain exemption categories. If you happen to be a minimum wage earner, earn below PHP 50,000, or dance around with an annual salary of PHP 60,000 or less, congratulations, you’ve earned yourself a tax holiday!


Now, brace yourselves for the requirements you’ll need to conquer:

  1. TIN or Tax Identification Number: Your virtual assistant identity won’t be complete without this crucial number.
  2. BIR Form 1905: This form comes in handy when you’ve already got a TIN and need to declare a shift in employment. Fill it out like a pro, and you’re good to go!
  • Fill in your full name, TIN, and Revenue District Office (RDO)
  • Mark “letter E” on Part II 
  • Mark “Transfer of Home RDO” and put your new address and telephone number on Field 4E 
  • Sign and put your official title on Field 5
    1. BIR Form 1901: Your registration form awaits! Select “Single Proprietorship” as your taxpayer type, declaring yourself as self-employed. Of course, being a responsible citizen involves keeping a meticulous accounting and bookkeeping record of everything. So, if your transactions cost PHP 25 or more, remember to issue receipts and maintain a Cash Receipt Journal and a Cash Disbursement Journal. It’s all part of being a responsible tax crusader! If you’re married and have children be sure to claim those additional exemptions, earning yourself some valuable tax deductions!
  • BIR Form 0605: When it comes to paying your fees and taxes that don’t require tax returns, use this one. Start by providing all the necessary details like your full name and TIN. In the “manner of payment section,” mark “others (specify)” and write “Certificate of Registration” in the provided space. Now, here’s an important tip: fill out three copies of the form as it will be used to pay for your certificate of registration. 
  • Additional Requirements: Additionally, if applicable to your situation, don’t forget to include documents such as the Company Contract, Mayor’s Business Permit Photocopy, Marriage Contract, Occupational Tax Receipt, and Professional Tax Receipt. 

Step-by-Step Registration

Now that you’ve got the essentials ready, let the registration process begin! 

  1. Hand in your filled-out BIR Form 1901 and the necessary documents at the RDO. 
  2. Pay the registration fee  of PHP 500. 
  3. Settle the DST and certification fee, each worth PHP 15. 
  4. And don’t forget to attend the RDO initial briefing, where seasoned tax pros will enlighten you about tax compliance!
  5. Congratulations! You’ve obtained your BIR Form 2303 or COR, along with the mighty ATP or authority to print, your precious book of accounts, and the legendary “Ask for receipt” notice. 
  6. Present ATP requirements for ATP with your accounting books at the RDO for stamping.You’re now officially registered and ready to face the tax challenges that lie ahead!

Taxes to Pay

Now, let’s delve into the world of taxes you must conquer:

  • Monthly Percentage Tax Return: BIR Forms 2551 and 0605 are your tickets to success. This one’s simple: 3% of your total income. File it on the 20th of each month and pay at any BIR-authorized bank. Easy peasy!
  • Quarterly Income Tax: BIR Forms 1701Q and 0605 are your allies here. Your net income will determine your tax. File it on April 15 of the following year and prove that you’re a quarterly tax master!
  • Annual Registration Tax Renewal: BIR Form 0605 is your trusted companion here. Remember to file it every 30th of January, and you’ll be nailing that annual tax renewal like a pro!
  • Annual Income Tax: You get to claim a deduction of PHP 50,000 from your gross yearly earnings. Calculate your annual income tax by deducting your annual earnings from the personal exemption amount. Then, multiply the difference by the OSD (optional standard deduction) of 40%. 

And there you have it, fellow virtual assistants—a tax guide to conquer the world! Remember, taxes might seem like a villain, but with the right knowledge and a witty spirit, you can be the hero of your financial story. If you’re in dire need of tax-saving wizards to rescue you from the tax tangles, our accounting team is here for you. Don’t let the complexities of tax obligations stress you out. We’ll take the burden off your shoulders, leaving you free to shine as a top-notch virtual assistant. Whether it’s decoding BIR forms, maximizing deductions, or mastering the art of income tax, we’ve got you covered. So, if you’re ready to elevate your virtual assistant game and ensure your financial peace of mind, reach out to us now.